Xpediter for DB2
|Duration: 2 days|
|Participants: COBOL DB2 application developers. Also helpful to mainframe support staff and systems programmers.|
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Setup the environment needed to debug COBOL DB2 batch programs in the XPEDITER/TSO environment.
- Define and create DDIO files and test profiles.
- Prepare (precompile, compile, link, and bind) DB2 programs for testing in XPEDITER/TSO.
- Create and maintain file allocation lists, user profiles, and test scripts.
- Setup a basic test session.
- Trap and recover from program errors.
- Effectively use the primary and line commands to debug programs, including setting breakpoints, examining and modifying data, counting execution of lines, altering execution logic, resume execution, viewing DB2 relevant information, etc.
- Access the log and script files.
- Xpediter is designed for programmers who want assistance in discovering the cause of an abend, a loop or logic error in a program. This course covers how to use Xpediter to debug batch DB2 COBOL programs in TSO. The student will use Xpediter to follow the logic of a program, look at the contents of a field, watch how it changes as the program executes, and change a field’s contents to see the effect. In addition the student learns how to alter program logic, trap and recover from program errors, set statement execution counts and resume execution from any point in the program. This course focuses on the specific setup and debugging required by DB2 batch COBOL programs.
- XPEDITER is a debugging and abend intercept tool that runs interactively in full screen mode as well as in a batch environment. You will learn to interactively allocate files, maintain multiple test profiles, interrupt and restart execution at any point, trace logic flow, bypass undesired program code, and monitor, display and modify program variable contents. You will be able to temporarily insert XPEDITER/TSO debugging statements, and view the log that XPEDITER maintains of all user activity during test sessions.
- This course uses programs with a variety of typical abend and logic errors to illustrate each command. Students debug a variety of actual abends and program failures in this extensively hands-on course.
- This course is a prerequisite to our XPEDITER/CICS course.
|Prerequisites: Knowledge of COBOL and DB2 programming, TSO, and basic JCL.|
|Setup: Site must have TSO logons with XPEDITER/TSO installed for DB2. Each student needs a PC or terminal with mainframe access. Access to DB2 from TSO must be available. Each student needs a TSO logon, a package, and access to the DB2 sample tables: EMP and DEPT. JCL to prepare a DB2 COBOL batch program (Precompile, Compile, Bind, Link) must be supplied by the client.|
|Format: Lecture and extensive hands-on workshops.|
- Overview of Topics
General overview of Xpediter
Creating the test environment
Setup: Allocating libraries, creating FLISTs for I/O
Compiling with Xpediter
Setting break points
Accessing and modifying data, including table entries
Controlling execution, intercepting abends
DB2 debugging tips
Static and dynamically linked subprograms
- Primary Option Menu
- Defaults (Option Ø)
Defaults primary menu
PF key definitions
ISPF color defaults
Source color defaults
- Utilities (Option 5)
Utilities primary menu
Region size message
List allocates screen
DDIO file facility
DDIO create/format facility
DDIO create/format setup
DDIO options facility screen
- Prepare (Option 1)
Highlights of COBOL versus COBOL/DB2 batch setup
Program preparation menu
Convert compile JCL
Compile JCL before conversion
Compile JCL after conversion
DB2 precompile setup, DB2 DSNLOAD libs
DBRM libraries screen
Edit allocation list
- TSO (Option 2)
Standard test screen
Session Setup screen
Environments menu screen
Load module library override screen
DDIO files override screen
Test script library override screen
Log dataset override screen
Log dataset disposition screen
DSN load library override screen
Allocate test session files
Copy file allocation or JCL
Allocate from JCL
Select DD name results
Save life allocation list
Space and catalog allocation
DCB parameter allocation
File parameters menu
Dataset allocation parms
Dataset DCB parameters
- Entering a Debugging Session
Entering a test session
After a test has completed
Returning from a test session
Log dataset browse screen
Log dataset disposition screen
Test script dataset edit screen
Script dataset disposition screen
- Break Point and Logic Commands
- Inserting Instructions
- Program Variable Commands
Monitoring and altering data
- UTILITY Commands
Designing and writing scripts
Typical script uses
Steps to solve an abend or program failure
Handling different types of abends
Use to log to remember what you did