|Duration: 3 days|
|Participants: Programmers with experience programming on a mainframe or others with a strong understanding of mainframe data storage.|
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Use Syncsort to sort or merge FB and VB mainframe datasets.
- Use Syncsort to eliminate undesired records, and to change the order and width of columns.
- Use Syncsort as a copy program.
- Use Syncsort to create sophisticated reports with headers/trailers, subtotals, grand totals, rearranged columns, etc.
- Write efficient sorts.
- SyncSort is more than just a sorting program. This course gives IS professionals the ability to use the many features of SyncSort for z/OS, a powerful utility that is often used to create robust reports and create customized data files, without coding an application program.
- In addition to learning the SORT and MERGE features you will also learn the many report enhancing features as well as other SyncSort time-saving options.
|Prerequisites: Working knowledge of TSO/ISPF and basic JCL.|
|Format: Lecture and discussion with hands-on exercises.|
- Basic JCL for SYNCSORT
- SYNCSORT Control Cards
ALTSEQ (Alternate Collating Sequences)
- Advanced JCL for SYNCSORT
EXEC parms, including MAXSORT, PARASORT, DYNALLOC, etc.
Calculating SORTWKXX sizes
Troubleshooting techniques and error messages
- SORT WRITER Report Facility
- Creating Sophisticated Reports
Dates, time, page numbers
- Variable Block Records with SYNCSORT
- Advanced and New Features
DB2 Query support
- Performance Considerations
DD statements and work areas disk space
Control statement issues
Sort concepts and how to write more efficient sorts
SORT vs MERGE